Deadlines: To File and Amend Federal US 1040 Tax Returns for Expats

When do IRS US tax returns need to be filed by our Enrolled Agents (EA) - Federal Deadlines: last day to file

American expats living abroad must file and amend a 1040 USA tax return to the IRS if they live in the United Kingdom (UK) or other countries. We will explore the how and why on this webpage.

IRS US tax returns usually must be filed on the 15th of April each year unless a public holiday slightly defers the Federal & state tax filing deadline. This is the last day Americans living in the U.S. must file their US tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Americans living abroad also get the benefit of an extension. Americans are used to submitting their 1040 tax return to the IRS on 15th April. Americans welcome having an extra two months to file their USA tax return because they are living abroad. The last day Americans living abroad have to file their taxes is 15th June without filing a 4868 extension request.

American expats living abroad may still use the form 4868 tax filing extension request to file their USA tax returns to the IRS by 15th October. This once more increases the last day filing by a few more months.

This date is helpful for anyone British, Spanish or Hong Konger who lives in the United States. Submitting the IRS form 4868 tax filing deadline extension request is possible. This allows foreigners or resident aliens living abroad in the United States to file their taxes on or near the 15th of October. Ensure you do not miss the last day to file your taxes to avoid the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) filing penalties.

Please note that the extension does not allow you to pay your tax any later than 15th April. If you wish to avoid late tax payments by the IRS, you ought to plan the 1040 tax submission by 15th April.

Expats is a phrase we use to label people that live in a different country but can remain a citizen of the former.

The IRS provides Form 1040-ES for tax filers to calculate and pay estimated taxes for the current year. A 1040 tax return relates to the previous year, whilst the 1040-ES calculates taxes for the current year. You use Form 1040-ES to pay income, self-employment, and any other tax you may be liable for.

Tax filers will file 1040-ES estimated tax payments four times in a tax year. For the calendar year taxpayers (most individuals), the due dates are 15th April, 15th June, 15th September and 15th January of the following year.

Do not miss the State & federal deadline to file the 1040-ES estimated taxes form to avoid late interest and penalties. The last day to file state tax returns is the same as Federal tax returns.

Please note that foreigners (non-resident aliens) with taxable income in the United States will need to file a 1040-NR to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). As you can see the 1040 tax return has two initials after them to specify someone’s circumstances.

You can use the 1040-ES estimated tax using the online calculator.

USA tax return for American expats living abroad | 1040 tax return | Inland Revenue Service (IRS) | Americans living abroad | Expatriation

What is expatriation?

Expatriation relates to someone who leaves the United States (US) to live abroad. An expatriation process requires US citizens to become a resident in another country. This means they became an expat living in the United States and now pay taxes in another country.

The expatriation process begins with Americans applying for a residence Visa in another country. This does not mean expatriation means Americans do not pay taxes to the IRS. In fact, Expats who go through the expatriation process will pay taxes to their new home country and the United States (IRS).

Tax filing and compliance to meet the IRS deadlines should be in the plans of all expats living abroad. 

Fed up of being told it is a fixed price but it keeps going up?

One thing that people value is transparency and clarity. That is one thing that our Enrolled Agents (EA) will promise and fulfil. Our EAs focus on taxes for expats who live between the United States (US), United Kingdom (UK) and Hong Kong.

There are many US expatriate/expat tax return services on offer. The issue is that they give you a price for an IRS 1040 tax return but hit you with additional fees for separate forms.

We have listened and believe that our Enrolled Agents (EAs) ought to do as many IRS forms as possible within the one-fee structure.

We know the difficulty of filing tax returns for American expatriates/expats living abroad, particularly in the United Kingdom. Many complexities exist when submitting tax returns to the IRS and HMRC.

– Where do you pay tax

– Is there tax-free allowances in both countries

– Does HMRC and the IRS allow for tax-free income such as UK ISAs

– How are pensions taxed in the UK and The USA

– What are the State and federal deadlines

– How do you deal with the sale of assets and capital gains tax with HMRC and the IRS

Tax filers must mark off IRS and HMRC deadlines on their calendars to avoid missing the last day to file.


Forms included within our fixed fee by our Enrolled Agents (EA)


Form 1040

The main tax return (Schedules A to E)


Form 1116

Foreign Tax Credits


Form 2555

Foreign Income Exclusion


Form 8965

Health Coverage Exemptions


Form 8938

Report your specified foreign financial assets


Form 8833

Treaty-Based Return Position Disclosure


Form 8829

Use of your home for business expenses to claim to reduce tax


Form 8621

Shareholder of a passive foreign investment company (PFIC)


Other forms not listed

If there are other forms required please discuss these with us

Also included in our fixed fee structure for expatriates/expats

There are other reporting requirements that American and British expats need to inform The IRS of their financial position.  These are included in the same monthly fee as part of our expatriate/expat tax services.

We hear about clients who work with other Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) and Enrolled Agents (EAs) who do not tell their clients about other important filings, which could lead to hefty penalties if not done.

American expatriates/expats living abroad (UK) must be careful with what information is disclosed to HMRC and the IRS. Care must be taken not to be taxed twice.

Our EAs are here to ensure you do not miss your filing deadlines (last day filing).

Americans that move to the United Kingdom (UK) or British citizens that move to the United States (US) need to get tax advice to consider the tax treaties and discuss income tax, Capital Gains Tax (CGT) or Inheritance Tax (IHT) / Estate Tax. Do not miss the last day to file to avoid late penalties and interest from the IRS. Ensure you file and amend your 1040, sub forms and FBAR before the last day deadline to avoid late fines and penalties as an expat living abroad. You do not always need to file a 1040 tax return as there is a minimum income and earnings level. US taxes are complicated and you need a UK/US tax expat expert to help you filing Federal taxes correctly and stay compliant. Tax Returns & filings made simple.



State Tax Return

No matter which state you need to report your expat taxes



Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)



Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

Amending tax return to correct errors on your 1040-X

Anyone who submits a tax return to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is likely to make an error in their lifetime. The IRS permits you to amend taxes on form 1040-X whenever a mistake is made.

Tax filers should use the form 1040-X to:

– Correct Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR errors
– Make certain elections after the deadline that was previously missed.
– Change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS.
– Claim a carryback due to a loss or unused credit.

Amending a 1040 tax return is not illegal. It is illegal to deceive the IRS, so any uncovered errors are best reported honestly on the 1040-X.

It is better to file and pay your taxes by the last day (IRS deadline) and submit and amend your tax return if the potential error is insignificant. Work with our Enrolled Agents (EAs) to ensure that you submit an accurate 1040 tax return.


what is the minimum income/earnings to file taxes?

If you’re a single filer under 65, you must file a tax return if your gross income is at least $12,950. This number jumps to $14,700 if you’re 65 or older. Head-of-household filers have a slightly higher threshold; those under 65 must file if they made at least $19,400, whereas those 65 or older must file if they made at least $21,150.

For married couples filing jointly, the thresholds differ based on age. Younger couples (both under 65) have a filing requirement if their combined income is at least $25,900. If one spouse is 65 or older, this bumps up to $27,300; if both spouses are 65 or older, the threshold is $28,700. Interestingly, if you’re married but filing separately, you must file a return if you earn as little as $5.

Qualifying surviving spouses have the same thresholds as married couples filing jointly, varying based on age. The threshold is $25,900 for those under 65 and $27,300 for those 65 or older.

Remember, there are particular scenarios where filing becomes necessary regardless of these income levels, such as if you have over $400 in self-employment income or want to claim certain credits or refunds.

It is possible that the minimum income/earnings is $5 requiring you to file a 1040 tax return to the IRS.

IRS 1040 Form FAQ Last day tax filing

What Is Form 1040 Used for?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Federal 1040 tax return is used by Americans or foreigners that have a financial interest in the United States to declare their taxable income and pay any taxes due.

Where Can I Find Form 1040?

You can download the 1040 from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website, use commercial tax filing software or use an EA/CPA to file your tax return.

#1040expattaxreturns #taxfilingdeadlines #latetaxreturns #taxdeadlines #taxreturnfiling #taxseason2021 #taxpreparation #taxhelp #taxtips #taxadvice #taxaccounting #taxservices #taxprofessionals #taxlaw #taxlawspecialist #taxconsulting #taxplanning #taxcompliance #taxreturndeadline #taxreturnextension

Book a call to see how we can help you.


Consultation options.

We offer the two following options for initial consultations.


Our Ongoing Accountancy Services

We charge on a fixed monthly fee

  • - Accounts submitted to HMRC & Companies House

  • - Tax support when needed (no extra charge)

  • - An holistic review of your tax structure and future plans

  • - Annual tax return review to discuss future tax plans


Tax Call + Report + Video Recording

Want tax advice right now? Book today

  • - Upload your questions in advance

  • - A qualified tax advisors discuss the very best solution with you

  • - A tax report & meeting recording is sent within 48 hours

  • - Clarification questions are answered via email

Booking your appointment.