Tax Advice for UK IT Consultant Working for US Company

Tax Advice for UK IT Consultants Working for US Company

Navigating the complexities of tax obligations can be particularly challenging for UK IT consultants working in or for the US. The UK and US tax systems have unique regulations and requirements that must be followed.

At Optimise Accountants, we specialize in providing comprehensive tax advice for UK IT consultants in the US, ensuring you remain compliant while optimising your tax situation.

This guide covers essential information, key dates, tax forms, and answers to frequently asked questions to help you manage your tax responsibilities effectively.

What are the Tax Residency Rules for UK Consultants?

As a UK IT consultant working in the US, your tax residency status will significantly impact your tax obligations. You are considered a tax resident in the UK if you spend more than 183 days in the country during a tax year or if your main home is in the UK.

In the US, you may be considered a tax resident if you pass the Substantial Presence Test, which considers the number of days you have spent in the US over the past three years, totalling more than 183 days.

What is the UK US Taxation Agreement?

The UK and the US have a double taxation agreement (DTA) that helps prevent the same income from being taxed by both countries. Under this agreement, taxes paid in one country can often be credited against your tax liability in the other, minimizing the overall tax burden.

Filing UK Self-Assessment Tax Returns

Even while working in the US, you may need to file a UK Self-Assessment tax return if you have income from UK sources or are a UK tax resident. Key dates and forms include:

Important US Tax Dates:

  • Tax Year: 6th April to 5th April of the following year
  • Filing Deadline (Online): 31st January, following the end of the tax year
  • Filing Deadline (Paper): 31st October, following the end of the tax year

Important Tax Forms:

Managing US Tax Obligations

In the US, you must file federal income tax returns and potentially state tax returns, depending on where you reside and work.

Federal Tax Filing:

  • Tax Form: 1040, the US Individual Income Tax Return
  • Filing Deadline: 15th April (extended to 15th October if you file for an extension)

State Tax Filing: State tax obligations vary depending on the state in which you work. While some states, like Florida and Texas, do not impose a state income tax, others like California and New York do.

VAT on Services from the UK to the USA

For US Businesses:

When providing services to US businesses, these are generally outside the scope of UK VAT. You do not need to charge VAT on your invoices.

However, ensure that your US client provides proof of their business status, such as a business certificate, to validate this treatment. Include a note on your invoice to your US client stating that the supply is outside the scope of UK VAT.

For US Individuals:

Services provided to US individuals are also typically outside the scope of UK VAT. It’s crucial to maintain proper documentation to substantiate the transaction’s nature and VAT’s applicability.

Best Practices for Invoicing US Clients

Currency Considerations:

You can invoice in either GBP or USD. Invoicing in USD simplifies the process for your US client and avoids potential currency conversion issues. However, invoicing in GBP protects you from currency fluctuations. More information on invoicing can be found here.

Do consider your business needs carefully. Ask us about personalized advice at any time.

VAT Treatment:

As noted, services provided to US clients are generally outside the scope of UK VAT. Ensure your invoices clearly state this and maintain documentation proving the business status of your clients when applicable.

Record Keeping:

Maintain thorough records of all invoices, payments, and related documentation. Accurate record-keeping is essential for compliance with both UK and US tax regulations.

Exchange Rate Use:

When you receive payments in USD, you must convert the amounts to GBP for your UK tax return. Use the exchange rate on the date you received the payment. The HMRC website provides reliable exchange rates for this purpose.

Avoiding Double Taxation:

Utilize the DTA between the UK and the US to claim foreign tax credits and avoid double taxation. This involves reporting your US income on your UK tax return and claiming a credit for US taxes paid.

How do I invoice the US as a consultant or contractor from the UK?

Include your business details, client details, invoice date, unique invoice number, service description, total amount due, and payment terms.

More information specific to invoicing US clients can be found here.

Always ensure compliance with international standards and include a note about VAT status if applicable.

Can you charge UK VAT on a USD invoice?

Generally, no. Services provided from the UK to the USA are outside the scope of UK VAT. If invoicing a business, ensure they provide proof of their business status, such as a business certificate.

For individuals, it’s also typically outside the scope of VAT, but proper documentation is essential.

What currency should I invoice in?

You can invoice in either GBP or USD. Invoicing in USD simplifies the process for your US client, while invoicing in GBP protects you from currency fluctuations.

Consider your business needs carefully and consult with Optimise Accountants for personalized advice.

The US company paid my invoice from a UK bank account – do I need to charge VAT?

No, as long as the services are provided to a business outside the UK, the payment method does not affect the VAT treatment. You do not need to charge VAT.

Should I use a UK company to invoice US clients?

Yes, using a UK company can provide legal protection, tax advantages, and a professional business image.

However, consider the tax implications and administrative responsibilities. Optimise Accountants can help you set up and manage your UK company efficiently.

How do I calculate currency conversion and tax if I’m paid in dollars?

Convert the USD amount to GBP using the exchange rate on the payment date.

Use the spot rate from a reliable source, such as the HMRC website. Optimise Accountants can assist with maintaining accurate records and ensuring compliance.

Should I bill my US client in GBP?

Billing in GBP can simplify your accounting but may be less convenient for your client. Consider the pros and cons and consult with Optimise Accountants if you need tailored advice.

How We Can Help You

Optimise Accountants specialises in helping US and UK based consultants and contractors manage their international invoicing and tax obligations. Our services include:

  • Invoicing Guidance: Ensuring compliance with US and UK invoicing standards
  • VAT Advice: Clarifying VAT obligations and exemptions.
  • Currency Conversion Assistance: Accurate recording and conversion of foreign currency payments.
  • Tax Compliance: Helping you meet all tax filing requirements and deadlines.
  • Company Setup and Management: We can help you setup up UK companies.

Call us today 0115 939 4606 and learn how we can help you gain maximum profitability whilst managing your international financial obligations.

Alternatively book a one-to-one personalised US tax consultation with Simon Misiewicz 

Or choose from the options below:


Book a call to see how we can help you.


Consultation options.

We offer the two following options for initial consultations.


Our Ongoing Accountancy Services

We charge on a fixed monthly fee

  • - Accounts submitted to HMRC & Companies House

  • - Tax support when needed (no extra charge)

  • - An holistic review of your tax structure and future plans

  • - Annual tax return review to discuss future tax plans


Tax Call + Report + Video Recording

Want tax advice right now? Book today

  • - Upload your questions in advance

  • - A qualified tax advisors discuss the very best solution with you

  • - A tax report & meeting recording is sent within 48 hours

  • - Clarification questions are answered via email

Booking your appointment.