Posted by Simon Misiewicz 4th May 2015
Are you fed up and tired because you are not achieving your goals?
Are you frustrated because you lack structure or focus?
Would you like to wake up each morning knowing that the tasks you do will help you to move towards your goals?
Imagine with me a couple called Sarah and Ryan. On the first of January they have identified a number of goals that they wish to achieve during the year. They set out their plans and draw up a pictorial dream board of what their lives are to be. They are passionate and positive about their futures.
Now lets step into March, just a few months later and they are deflated, de-motivated and glum because they are no further forward than they expected to be.
I am going to ignore the more obvious psychological issues such as lack of confidence, know how, commitment issues and procrastination.
There are many reasons why people do not achieve their goals and here are just a few that I have observed from the people that I serve and have worked with.
- Their dreams / targets are not turned into tasks.
- They have not prioritised their task list so they feel paralysed / overwhelmed with the number of tasks at hand.
- They carry out meaningless tasks that they love and ignore the tasks that will help them achieve their goals.
- They are not focused and are distracted by their daily life activities resulting on the tasks not being done.
I have listed a few things above but here are a few more that will prevent people from achieving their financial goals
- Their dreams and goals were not translated into financial targets that can be monitored each month.
- They may have done the above but they have not done their book keeping diligently each month so they do not know where they are.
Quite simply look at the above bullet points and focus.
Applying the treatment
I would suggest that you identify someone that is going to hold you accountable and support you to identify goals and associated tasks, which can be reviewed on a regular basis. This does not need to be a paid mentor, albeit this will be far more effective, but it does need someone that will be honest with you.
Once you have recruited a person to help you, you can turn your goals into monthly financial targets / budgets that you can review each month. Please check out this video to see more details:
You may also wish to read the set of articles called “The 8 Keys Of Being A Successful Property Investor” by clicking here: http://www.optimiseaccountants.co.uk/the-8-keys-of-being-a-successful-property-investor-part-1-values/#.VUdK4aa5dSV